Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Audit, A Mirror and A Thought

I had one of the most enjoyable airport experiences yesterday. There was a mechanical failure with my first flight, so it was a few hours late leaving the regional airport, so instead of the 3 hour layover I was expecting, I ended up having 19 minutes to rush to my next flight. So, I put 'Stress" by Justice on and dashed desperately to the designated departure gate. So much more exciting than the normal leisurely stroll.

So, that plane and a car ride home, it's one AM of the 21st, and I decide to start a homework assignment. At four of the clock in the morning I deem my task accomplished and retire to my bed.
I got up at 7:30 for the inaugural meeting of a weekly Bible study.

I haven't slept yet.

That back story is more of a disclaimer, a right for what follows this disclaimer (and precedes it also) to be slightly askew, be it grammatically or just downright nonsensically.

I spent the majority of my day working on a self-portrait for art. It was during this time that I rehashed something I've been thinking about a lot lately, and i was struck by a new revelation.
The rehash- no one's theology is perfect.
The revelation- apathy destroys.
In discussing Don Miller's books with people, I have found that he seems to have quite a large anti-following. People who dislike him and what he says. This had me down for a touch, because I think quite a few of his concepts are grand, when I realized that no one is perfect; it follows that no ones theology is perfect either.
It's not a defense of someone spreading a blatantly non-Biblical view, but merely an interesting idea.
The apathy destroys sentiment was given breathe by my reflecting on how much caring has shaped me. How much my decisions to invest when I know it will hurt me have forced me forward as a person.
And how much apathy allows me to stagnate. To me, stagnation is a crime. To remain unchanged, as a human, is wrong. It scares me when I don't see someone for a while, then come back into contact with them and they are still the exact same. Something is wrong.
And, on the topic of contact with people, I went downtown with a friend today and audited her sociology lecture. The topic was "Socialization and Education," and while Prof. Green didn't say anything that was earth breaking (or even mildly startling), he did put into words a lot of concepts that I had understood through observation. It was like slowly sliding into a hot bath.
He started the lecture off with a short video on 'feral children,' kids who have been neglected and abandoned by their parents, and subsequently get raised by wild animals. In being raised by these animals, the children begin to behave like them, becoming more and more animalistic and less human-like.
This was making me sad, because humans are awesome and abuse is terrible, but I was granted an interesting perspective on the issue: If humans are raised by wolves, they will act like a wolf. If wolves are raised by humans, they will still act like wolves.
I just thought it was interesting that it wasn't a two-way street, and that humans are so much more adaptive and ingenious than wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment