Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Anberlin and the Unexpected

I won free admittance to the Anberlin concert that just transpired a few hours ago. That's the second time this month that I could see a band for free that I had already paid for. Such bittersweet luck.
They put on a good show. Didn't play two of my favorites (Haight St. or Inevitable), but who can begrudge them that when they played so many other solid songs?
Something that I realized about them though, is that if I hadn't been listening to them for as long as I have; if i just heard one of their songs on a friends iPod, I doubt I would like them. Stylistically, they don't play a genre I'm really into at all anymore. When I first got into them back in grade 7 or 8, they were 'heavy' for me. Come grade 9 when I got down with bands like Inhale Exhale and August Burns Red, I realized Anberlin is really on the soft side. But in spite of that, they still have a soft spot in my heart.
And the light show they had was very fresh:
Thats not an image from tonight, it's a photo stolen from an email sent out to people on their mailing list, but it could've been from tonight.

I suppose I should dig deeper and find some sort of hidden meaning to that revelation, but I don't want. I want to continue to like this band as a good go-to band for having a crush on someone, or staying up late driving around doing ridiculous things with good friends. Or nursing a relational wound. Anberlin is set heavy in my heart as the soundtrack of the past six years of my life, and I think that affords them some respect.

Something that I would've enjoyed though was a bit more personality from the band. Rather then give the songs any context or relay any deeper meaning, they simply rolled from one song into the next with what was at first interesting, but gradually became annoying, drum loops.
If they came back again, they would need to have an opener I loved and a different venue to play in.
Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment