Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let It

I spent most of today setting up for the grade 12 art exhibition at the Latcham Gallery in Stouffville. I'm a bit excited for it. On a scale of 1 to Mike Hrinca, Aaron Weiss and Alice Glass doing guest vox in a The Chariot songt, this is maybe a 5 (the collaboration being a 10).
I'm supposed to do the opening speech, and I'm seriously considering winging it. Every time I get asked as to the meaning of the title of the show (Not A Whisper, bastardization of the final stanza of T.S. Elliot's The Hollow Men) I invent a new meaning. It's a bit fun to see how far I can push it. Today in an interviewer with some member of the media I said it had to do with birth, since there are no whispers during childbirth, and we, as aspiring artists, are being birthed into the art world.
Believable. Ish.
The real meaning is simply I enjoy the prose of the poem. But, people like hidden meaning, so that was that.
I have 4 pieces in the exhibit, a drawing, a self portrait, a sculpture and my sketchbook, but I really don't like the idea of just leaving them there for public viewing.
Not that I have attachment issues, but my work really doesn't speak for itself. I try to imbibe my work with as much meaning and parallelism as possible, but it's not the type of meaning that an undiscerning viewer is going to pick up on.
I don't think this makes me a bad artist, more of an artist that can't be commercially successful. Which I'm cool with, because I'm starting to see more and more that my future doesn't lie in visual art.
But yeah, this Thursday, 7-9 is the gallery opening.
You should come.

There will be free food.

No comments:

Post a Comment