Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Writing On The Blog (See What I Did There?)

I'm not sure when it was. I think back in May perhaps? Possibly June?
Either way, Underoath announced that they were writing new material, and I got ridiculously stoked.
They had a member departure which I won't dwell on now because I didn't dwell on it then, but this combined with their frequent tweets and video updates talking about how amazing this record was going to be had me sitting on the edge of my patience.
Then, the day arrived.
It was out.
I went, and not only did I buy it, but I thought I'd offer even more support than normal and buy the Deluxe edition, since I was so sure this record could potentiall
y change the way I view music.

I'd say November 9th was one of the most disappointing days of this year.
K, total lie. There's been much, much worse this year.
But it probably wins for November.

The album is good, I can't deny that. Spencer's vocals are, well, almost beyond description. The shear range is rather staggering. The electronica elements are much more prevalent and welcome.
I don't really follow guitars, bass or drumming too much, but they also sound nice.

I don't want to go into some bogged down song by song of how this albums doesn't appease; I'd rather just say that it doesn't. In listening to the band, critiques and fans talk about this album, I feel as though I'm missing something. I have yet to see a single negative review of this album, be it amateur or professorial. Maybe it's because I'm not musically trained that I can't appreciate the genius of this album. Maybe it's because lately I've been enjoying my heavy heavier (The Chariot) and my electronica glitchier (Crystal Castles), but this album simply cannot cut it for me.

I never really considered Aaron to be my favorite part of UO, but apparently his influence made this band for me. Their last album, Lost in the Sound of Separation is mindblowingly amazing. It oozes intensity and honesty within a kaleidescope of rawness and visceral power.

Maybe I'll gain an appreciation for it in a few months or years, but for now I will quietly pretend it doesn't exist and wait for their next release.

...


This lovely little picture depicts commonly used words on Underoath's new album (not including common words, such as 'and,' 'to,' and 'I' (which was used 108 times).







...



And as endnotes (because I'm too lazy to re-edit and find where to put these tidbits), I'm also confused by how everyone keeps saying the lyrics on this album are so good. They're, well, bland. Not that they don't get their point across in differing ways, because they do; however, the lyricist seems to be on perpetual downward spiral into the darkness of the human pysche. This can get rather dull very fast.
Also, if Spencer lacked the ability to repeat himself, this album would lose half of it's lyrics.

Also, if I zone out while listening to 'Driftwood,' I start to think my iPod has skipped to Muse.
Just a little fun fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment