Thursday, November 4, 2010

Limitless Language

My mind is quite working the way it used to. That dramatic shift I spoke of in the last blog? It's apparently just a subtle change of the wallpapering in my head.

Now at the end of every day I lie awake at night and wait to feel
The wires of my brain get cut and quietly rearranged.

A thought occurred to me today: what if language was perfect in it's ability to express?
Can life ever be fully expressed through one medium? Can one mode of expression handle the immensity of everything? Obviously not, but what if it could?
What if everything we said was perceived exactly how we meant it. Whenever we whispered 'I love yous' or soberly said 'thank you,' it was taken with every ounce and pound of meaning that it was imbibed with.
Or even screams of "I hate you" could be heard with the understanding that it isn't forever, the person saying it feels like they mean it, but they don't really.

I think people would say a lot less for a long time. Then some would speak their heart and find that others out there mirrored it. Some would still sit in silence and ponder what to say until a brown eyed girl would walk over to them and ask them if they would like to dance.
And they would say "Yes."
And they would mean it.

Of course, such a world doesn't exist, but if it did, I have a feeling it would be at a disadvantage.
If life could be explained, if it could be fully understood with something as limited as language, then it would lose very much of its livelihood.
One could take the pro's and con's and wage a mighty war in prose and possibly convince some members in the audience, but in the end it's all speculation.
This isn't even an idea of a perfect world.
It's a question of limited perfection should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment